Virtual Solutions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[SLED] Recommended Media Screen‏

Go down

[SLED] Recommended Media Screen‏ Empty [SLED] Recommended Media Screen‏

Post  Gambino Tue May 26, 2009 12:46 pm

Hi folks,

I've spent the past few weeks research SL media screens and players, looking for the system that best fit our needs in our courses for educators. Since I've had several other people asking about screens, I thought I would just share what I've decided on for our "best bet". This is not an ad...I'm not related to the folks who create this screen, and get absolutely nothing for recommending it.

We were looking for a good overall media screen...one that could handle the standards...YouTube, SHOUTcast, Google, as well as our own audio and video streams we might want to add. We weren't worried so much for an "image" viewer, or Flikr viewer, though that would be a bonus.

Our main criteria were that the system was very easy to setup and use, was priced so we could purchase multiple copies for our learners, and were just good performers...reliable, didn't crash a lot, didn't create lag...things like that. Most important was that I wanted a system that was easy to modify and add more streams to as easy as possible.

I reviewed systems by testing them first-hand...buying retail copies from each place and running them through the things I wanted to test.

After looking at a dozen or more screens, we've decided to use the Damani MediaViewer by Damanios Thetan. The features we were wanting were all there, and accessing all of them is through a very nice, on-screen thumbnail menu. No blue pop-up menus to deal with...it's all 'on the screen'.

The system comes with a direct thumbnail for Google and SHOUTcast, both fully searchable. Another thumbnail opens takes you to YouTube, Dailymotion, SLCN.TV, and a searchable collection of TED videos...a great collection. IF you decide to change the default settings, this thumbnail will also allow you to access some adult material...but this setting is off by default and can be kept that way if desired.

From that main screen, there is a Notecards thumbnail, which will then present thumbnails from any notecard you may drop in the screen, each created with lists of any streams you want to add to the system. It is simple to create the notecards and they work perfectly for us.

Another thumbnail allows you to add a direct URL for a stream you want to view, without having to add a notecard at all.

There is also a setting for Pictures, which currently will display any images you put in the screen contents. An update to add the Flickr thumbnail is in the works. You can change screen settings to change the timing and order of displaying images, to create a wide range of presentations. There are also settings to determine who can control the screen..as well as other options.

I bought a pack of 10 Damani MediaViewers for less than the cost of one of the popular competitors.

Again, I'm not associated with this product in any way (other than as a customer) but have been asked about screens so many times I thought it was good enough to share.

If anyone is interested...I've also been exploring sculpty creators, scripts and devices for animating objects, avatar animaton and pose creators, and several other pieces for use in our classes. I'd be happy to share what we've selected as the "best bet" for our own use.

Thanks,

John/VB

--
John Jamison, PhD.
john@imagilearning.com
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/jjamison

Second Life
"Virtual Bacon"
http://slurl.com/secondlife/imagiLEARNING/30/5/32

"Do not confine your children to your own learning.
For they were born in another time."
- Hebrew Proverb
Gambino
Gambino
Admin

Back to top Go down